Month: June 2001

The Vidyavihar Factor

The Vidyavihar Factor

Somaiya Institute of Management Studies and Research (SIMSR) is one of the leading business schools of the city and one of the preferred choices of top students.

SIMSR was founded in 1981 by (Late) Padmabhushan Shri K. J. Somaiya, a philanthropist and a visionary who believed in the power of education for the betterment of humankind. Shri S. K. Somaiya, vice president of the Somaiya Vidyavihar Trust, oversees the operations of the Institute.

In a short span, SIMSR has grown to become a comprehensive management school offering courses that are as varied as the requirements of the industry. Located in the generous 17-acre campus of Somaiya Vidyavihar, SIMSR is housed in a 3-storey building covering almost 35000 sq. ft. of area.

SIMSR provides all the important facilities that are vital for the modern student of management. For instance, consider the fully computerized library of SIMSR. It is stocked with more than 17,000 business titles covering all aspects of management. Director of SIMSR, Prof. S. V. Venkataraman is proud to mention, “This number is steadily increasing and should reach 30,000 titles in the next 3 years.” Add to this subscription to 160 periodicals, journals and business publications (both domestic and international) and a collection of CD ROMs and videocassettes. This stock of books and periodicals is supplemented every year with the advice of the faculty, academicians and students.

SIMSR has 20 well-equipped, air-conditioned rooms for tutorials, seminars and group discussions. With 4 servers and state-of-the-art hardware, software, ISDN based Internet facilities, and 120 Pentium based workstations connected through LAN, the computer center at SIMSR rivals the best among B-schools. The Institute has installed legal software on all their computers. To promote the students’ interests, the institute has even purchased expensive software packages such as SAS statistical package and Prowess, a CMIE company database.

However, Prof. Venkataraman is quick to point out that in spite of the above-mentioned facilities, the principal strength of the institute is the faculty. SIMSR has 15-strong full-time faculty with over 200 man-years of industry experience. Over 50 practicing managers, academicians and consultants augment the core faculty.

For its methods of imparting high quality management education, SIMSR has received the coveted ISO 9001 accreditation from BVQI, a reputed International Certifying Authority. SIMSR believes in the all-around development of its students. The Institute is also an active institutional member of CSI, NHRDN BMA (Bombay Management Association), CMIE, BAC and AIMA (All India Management Association).

SIMSR periodically organizes regular workshops, conferences and seminars for the benefit of the students. Leading Industry experts are invited to share their experiences with the students. These activities have made SIMSR one of the premier management institutes in Mumbai. The Institute offers numerous Autonomous and Mumbai University affiliated courses.

Realising the importance of India’s role in the context of international trade, SIMSR has introduced a 2-year full time course in International Business – PGPIB. This course is the brainchild of Dr. Y.R. Ullal, who holds a PhD in foreign trade from Mumbai University and is a legendary name in International business.

Placements are perhaps the single most important factor of consideration for students vying for management seats. SIMSR has an impressive track record of placements since its inception. Top Indian and Multinational companies visit the campus year after year. This year, in spite of the slowdown in the economy, 94% of the students have been placed through campus. The remaining 6% are those who, for some reason or the other, did not opt for campus recruitment. The highest salary offered was 7.5 lacs (HLL) and the average salary was 2.9 lacs.

Another feather in the cap for SIMSR is that the fee for the autonomous courses is lower when compared with other colleges in the city. Once again, the vision of Somaiya trust plays an important role in keeping these courses affordable.

With this long-term vision of the Somaiya trust supporting the institute and the determination of the management, SIMSR is poised to play a significant role in grooming the future managers of corporate India.